[alsa-devel] alsa-lib has anyone looked at taking it cross platform?

John Rigg aldev at sound-man.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 23:24:00 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 10:48:14PM +1000, Peter Dolding wrote:
> Note its imposable to get nested sound server to work perfectly.   But
> its more than possible to get a single sound server to do all the jobs
> of all the other sound servers so giving perfect API coverage.

Where does JACK fit into this? It's aimed at a completely different
set of users from the other sound servers for Linux.

The requirements for pro audio, eg. music recording, sound for film
etc. are totally different from those of the average desktop user.
A single sound server that tries to do everything for everybody
sounds to me like a potential nightmare of conflicting requirements.

John