[alsa-devel] Setting format to SND_PCM_FORMAT_MU_LAW does not let me apply hardware parameters

Mitul Sen (misen) misen at cisco.com
Wed Jul 23 02:11:26 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have checked the timestamps for libasound.so and the soft links
created in the /usr/lib directory after an install. They are the same as
in my build directory.

> > Also regarding the original problem, when I run my program,
> the output
> > of /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params is
> >
> > access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
> > format: S16_LE
> > subformat: STD
> > channels: 2
> > rate: 48000 (48000/1)
> > period_size: 32
> > buffer_size: 1024
> >
> > This is clearly not what it should be since the data access
> should be RW_NONINTERLEAVED, format should be MU_LAW, there
> is only one channel and rate is 8000. Which would mean that
> alsa assumes a different set of parameters (for mu law)from
> what the data actually is. Am I right in thinking this?
> >
> > Just got back after a long break and trying to pick up the threads
> > again:-)
> >
> > Again, any help will be much appreciated.
> >

> Unless your changes changed the mu-law code to use your
> card's mu-law decoder, they will still be the decoded values.
>
> The best way to do this is to compile your program with
> debugging enabled (  -ggdb  -O0) and the alsa library with
> debugging enabled.  ./configure  --help should give you the
> option.  Then move only the library to /usr/lib and run your
> program as
> gdb --args yourprogram yourargs   .  You can see the
> info on how to run gdb in  info gdb  .  With the debugger you
> can step through the program and the library to see where it
> is not working the way you expected.  But you don't want to
> leave it like that as it is very inefficient.
>
> If your code works for the mu-law, you could submit a patch.
> Of course, you would have to check for the functionality and
> branch to the old code if the card doesn't support mu-law decoding.

I have tried using gdb both from the command line as you suggested and
also from within eclipse. Even though I can step through the code and
break properly, I think there is some mismatch between the source code
and object code used by gdb. I say that because it sometimes steps
through code in a way that makes no sense. For example, I see that a
particular 'if' condition is satified and it goes into the 'if' clause
and then again goes into the 'else' clause that is not expected. Is
there any module that needs to be reloaded after building and installing
the shared library? I have done a clean make at all times, checked
timestamps, even rebooted the machine in case some driver related data
needs to be reloaded at startup but none of this has helped.

Another thing that I notice is that when I use aplay to play the rtp
data that I save to file (before writing to the sound device), and check
the output of /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params file, it is
exactly the same as when I run my application. Using aplay does the
playback properly even though hw_params still shows as

access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 48000 (48000/1)

Please note that I can play back the file using aplay, I only have the
problem of bad audio when I try to write to the sound device in
real-time. With this observation though I am not sure if the fact that
the library seems to not use the card's decoder is really the problem. I
am trying to look into the source code of aplay to see if I can spot any
difference in the way the data is written to the buffer.

Meanwhile, any comments and help will be greatly appreciated as usual.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Mitul