[alsa-devel] logging stream creation

Nick Thompson rextanka at comcast.net
Mon Jul 21 18:57:58 CEST 2008

Hello,

I've just started looking at ALSA, and I have a couple questions that
I hope will be pretty easy to answer.

I'd like to log stream creation as streams are brought up and shut
down.  Should I use an I/O plugin for this?  Is there code I should
start to look at for doing this.  Ideally I'd like to get a
notification once streaming starts on a PCM and when it stops.

If I wanted to manipulate DMIX settings in response to streams being
started and stopped, is it best to do this via a plugin (possibly the
same one that I'd write for the stream monitoring, or from an external
app that has a connection to the monitoring plug).

Finally is it possible to change the physical ALSA sink for a running
PCM (for example if I have two devices, I start streaming on the first
and decide in response to a user even that I need to stream to another
sink).

Thank you!!

Nick