[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Wed Jul 16 11:16:32 CEST 2008

On 15-07-08 22:28, Landis McGauhey wrote:

> Yes, I did delete '-dry-run'.
>
> In fact, just to be doubly certain, I just re-ran the whole process and

I still worry a little bit, since if all's well, you should have seen
the "patch -p1" command fail this time (it commenting that the patch
seemed already applied) but I'll assume you did see that then. It's
unfortunate that the problem with your card seems involved in a way
which makes it fairly hard to debug this while not having the card
locally to fiddle around with, adding delays between things ...

> additionally ran alsaconf (and again there was a loud 'click' in the
> speakers when alsaconf loaded the driver):
>
> # cat /proc/asound/AudioPCI/codec97#0/ac97#0-0=
> 0-0/0: 0x83848384 STS

... because, lovely, yet another variant. There is an interface problem
between the ES1371 and (supposed) STAC9704 chips on your card and even
though that MIGHT not be all the problem (even though the ALSA driver
doesn't recognize your AC97 codec due to this, the OSS driver also
drives it without any special quirks) this will need to be taken care of
first.

With the card locally, the attached is the first thing I'd try. It makes
the driver wait around a bit to have the codec recover from reset. Apply
it as before, run "make" and "make modules_install" and re-load the
snd-ens1371 driver with (as root) "modprobe -r snd-ens1371 && modprobe
-r es1371 && modprobe snd-ens1371" after which ALSA sound may or may not
work (test through aplay).

(note by the way that for now I'm foregoing any other problems you have
with rebooting not loading the correct driver and such -- your dmesg
indicated that the OSS es1371 driver was loading even though you said
you blacklisted that, so just do the manual modprobe/modprobe -r stuff.)

Please also make sure that, after loading the newly patched snd-ens1371,
there's nothing interesting at the end of dmesg -- nothing about
timeouts and such. If there is something, please post.

If this doesn't work (likely) I'll just have to sit down and trace AC97
accesses one by one between OSS and ALSA driver as nothing jumped out at
me yet.

Rene.