[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?

Landis McGauhey b3zdomny at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:45:18 CEST 2008

> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:36:14 +0200
> From: rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
> To: b3zdomny at hotmail.com
> CC: tiwai at suse.de; alsa-user at lists.sourceforge.net; alsa-devel at alsa-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?
>
> On 15-07-08 17:25, Landis McGauhey wrote:
>>

>>> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:42:05 +0200
>>> From: rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
>>> To: b3zdomny at hotmail.com
>>> CC: tiwai at suse.de; alsa-user at lists.sourceforge.net;
>> alsa-devel at alsa-project.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?
>>

>> OK, interim report:
>>
>> the patch, the make, the makemodules, and the modprobes all proceeded
>> without error.
>
> the "make modules_install" I hope. "make modules" would just make the
> modules, not install them. You need to be very sure you're running the
> new;y compiled driver (ie, as said, unload any current driver, and
> reload after the make modules_install).
>
> Whatever the result, sound or no, please also report the
> /proc/asound/AudioPCI/code97#0/ files
>
>> # aplay /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
>> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
>> aplay: main:564: audio open error: No such file or directory
>
> Quite frankly, I haven't a clue what _that_ is now about again all of a
> sudden, but also try "aplay -D hw:AudioPCI foo.wav".
>
> Rene.

OK, double-checked command line and make modules_install indeed had been run.

Went kmenu>settings>sound & multimedia>sound system>hardware tab and restarted the sound system.

Went to process table and killed many, many sessions of artsd-- seems I've read elsewhere here on the board that any sound server will block any other application trying to play.

# aplay /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1017: unable to install sw params:
start_mode: DATA
xrun_mode: STOP
tstamp_mode: NONE
period_step: 1
sleep_min: 0
avail_min: 940
xfer_align: 940
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size: 0
boundary: 986447872

tried to run audacity but as before it would not appear on the screen.  used process table to kill it.

ran xmms:  played song but with silence.

# cat /proc/asound/AudioPCI/codec97#0/ac97#0-0=
0-0/0: 0x76058384 F�S

PCI Subsys Vendor: 0x0000
PCI Subsys Device: 0x0000

Capabilities     : -dedicated MIC PCM IN channel- -bass & treble-
DAC resolution   : 16-bit
ADC resolution   : 20-bit
3D enhancement   : Reserved 29

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+20dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off

# cat /proc/asound/AudioPCI/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs=
0:00 = 0000
0:02 = 8404
0:04 = 8404
0:06 = 8000
0:08 = 8005
0:0a = ffff
0:0c = 100a
0:0e = 801f
0:10 = 805f
0:12 = 9010
0:14 = 8707
0:16 = 9f1f
0:18 = 9f1f
0:1a = 8a0a
0:1c = 8000
0:1e = 0000
0:20 = 0000
0:22 = 0000
0:24 = 0000
0:26 = 0000
0:28 = 000f
0:2a = ffff
0:2c = ffff
0:2e = ffff
0:30 = ffff
0:32 = ffff
0:34 = ffff
0:36 = ffff
0:38 = ffff
0:3a = ffff
0:3c = ffff
0:3e = ffff
0:40 = ffff
0:42 = ffff
0:44 = ffff
0:46 = ffff
0:48 = ffff
0:4a = ffff
0:4c = ffff
0:4e = ffff
0:50 = ffff
0:52 = ffff
0:54 = ffff
0:56 = ffff
0:58 = ffff
0:5a = ffff
0:5c = 0000
0:5e = 0000
0:60 = 0000
0:62 = 0000
0:64 = 0000
0:66 = 0000
0:68 = 0000
0:6a = 0000
0:6c = 0000
0:6e = 0000
0:70 = 0000
0:72 = 0000
0:74 = 0000
0:76 = 0000
0:78 = 0000
0:7a = 0000
0:7c = 0000
0:7e = 8384

Will do blacklist as recommended in earlier message, then reboot and see what happens.

Landis