[alsa-devel] Is params_format() valid in the _hw_params() function?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Jul 16 00:08:10 CEST 2008

My ASoC driver programs the sample size in the _prepare() callback function,
because I was under the impression that the sample size cannot be known in the
_hw_params() callback function.  However, I just ran a test, and it appears that
the params_format() macro does return the right value.  Once I know the format,
I can determine the same size.

Is this always true, even in OSS emulation?  I know very little about ALSA and
OSS application programming, so I don't know what causes _hw_params() to be
called vs. _prepare().  If it turns out that params_format() does work in
_hw_params(), I can greatly simplify my driver.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale