[alsa-devel] ALSA Problem - Broken Pipe

Kristin Low kristin.low at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:34:27 CEST 2008

I don't get any kernel warning/error messages from what I can tell. I
checked /var/log/messages and dmesg (hopefully that's where I'm supposed to
look). The only messages I get are from selecting ALSA output: "[00000351]
alsa audio output error: write failed (Broken pipe)" or if I select
pulseaudio: "pulseaudio[5593]: module-alsa-sink.c: Got POLLERR from ALSA".
These usually happen near the beginning of a sound, but also may not come up
for several minutes.

When I say OSS works, I mean that when I set Sound Events and Music and
Movies in my Sound Preferences (setting the default setting for programs),
sound works fine (I just don't get simultaneous sounds, which I believe is
normal because of OSS). Also, if I set Amarok or VLC to use OSS and not ALSA
or pulseaudio, my sound works. However, if I run VLC with the aoss wrapper,
I get the same error messages as above. Totem and Rhythmbox don't work
either.

Thanks so much for looking at this for me.