[alsa-devel] Low output from a Dell XPS M1530 with a STAC 9228 codec

Anders Rønningen andersronningen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:22:53 CEST 2008

The output on the mentioned setup is much lower in Ubuntu than in Vista. I
have gotten support in #alsa, so I'm fairly sure my alsamixer settings are
correct. I have also tried different model options in alsa-base, but without
any luck. The volume is much lower both from the internal speakers and from
the headphone outputs on the card. The behaviour fits the description at

My alsa-info output is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/24221/

Any idea what can be done to debug/solve this? Someone on a Dell forum
suggested that maybe the volume ranges for the STAC9228 card could be wrong.

What model-option am I supposed to use for this card? I've seen this info:

    ref        Reference board
    3stack    D965 3stack
    5stack    D965 5stack + SPDIF
    dell-3stack    Dell Dimension E520
    dell-bios    Fixes with Dell BIOS setup

but I'm not sure which one fits my setup.

Anders Rønningen