[alsa-devel] [Fwd: [Alsa-user] Intel Poulsbo(SCH) chipset does not recognize Adi 1986 codec under linux]]

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jul 1 12:22:56 CEST 2008

At Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:20:17 +0900,
Kan-I Jyo wrote:

> Dear Takashi,
>
> Thank you for your kind help all the time.
>
> 2008/6/25 Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de>:
> > The hardware sets the corresponding bits to this register when the
> > codec is found on the slot.  So, this seems really like a hardware
> > problem.
>
> For all my try these days have all led to a non-working audio device,
> I can not help thinking the high possibility of a hardware problem.
> Just want to make sure that I have made good efforts before blaming on
> hardware side.
>

> > Or, if it's a timing issue, you can try to add some delays in
> > azx_reset()...
>
> Considering this kind of issue, I have increased the "msleep" in
> azx_reset() from 1 to 1000.
> With no luck, stiil there the "no codecs found" message.
>
> Moreover, I have changed the "msleep" to "ssleep" with a even larger
> value. As you may have expected, no recognization of the ADi 1986A
> codec at all.

Then it implies that the hardware doesn't set this bit.  It's supposed
to be mandatory, and this probing mechanism works well for other
hundreds of devices.  Thus I think something still wrong in your
device setup.

If you know the slot number of the codec beforehand, you can modify to
force to set chip->codec_mask in azx_reset().  Then the driver will
continue to probe the codec.