[alsa-devel] DSP2000 Midi In - Not a correct fix??

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 00:22:29 CET 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 11:09, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Alan Horstmann wrote:
> >
> > re: Hoontech DSP2000 Midi In non-functional
> >
> >    see :  https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=55
> >              https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1161
> >              https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1846
> >
> > From my testing, it seems the only part necessary is:-
> >
> > 	-       for (box = 0; box < 4; box++) {
> > 	+       for (box = 0; box < 1; box++) {
> >
> > as it is successful without the rest.
> >
> > However I feel this is not really a correct fix, preventing use of
> > multiple boxes in code that originally allowed it.
> Do you have configuration with mutiple boxes? If yes, we can continue to
> work on a proper fix. Othewise, I would just keep a working configuration
> for single box only.

I can understand your sentiment and it is true I have only a single box (which
can be set to any of box[0] to [3]), but it seems a regression to prevent
correct configuring of audio on multiple boxes (which has worked fine in the
past) just because of a problem in the Midi part.  The next better step than
the patch on 1.0.16rc1 is to only allow midi config on box[0] with
	 if (box == 0)
in front of

However, things have moved on here, in that I do now have a proposed
alternative.  One step on from the above approach is to call this function
only if
is set for that particular box, rather than setting the parameter 'activate'.
This approach does create a complete and effective solution, which I have
tested here, being able (using the boxconfigs) to set channels and Midi In on
any box designated 0-3, and Midi out 1 & 2 are active for all boxes once set
on any.

Soon I will put this together into a patch for review, so that there is at
least something definite to discuss.

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 11:25, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Alan Horstmann wrote:
> > Clemens, can you remember anything about this change:
> >
> > 	http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel/rev/a42043505e46
> >
> > -was it someone else's patch or did you work on this?
> That change is based on the Windows driver source code (which I no
> longer have) and some guesswork; I never had the hardware.

Thanks Clemens, that is useful to know.