[alsa-devel] DSP2000 Midi In - Not a correct fix??

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 00:22:29 CET 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 11:09, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Alan Horstmann wrote:
> >
> > re: Hoontech DSP2000 Midi In non-functional
> >
> >    see :  https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=55
> >              https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1161
> >              https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1846
> >
> > From my testing, it seems the only part necessary is:-
> >
> > 	-       for (box = 0; box < 4; box++) {
> > 	+       for (box = 0; box < 1; box++) {
> >
> > as it is successful without the rest.
> >
> > However I feel this is not really a correct fix, preventing use of
> > multiple boxes in code that originally allowed it.
>
> Do you have configuration with mutiple boxes? If yes, we can continue to
> work on a proper fix. Othewise, I would just keep a working configuration
> for single box only.

I can understand your sentiment and it is true I have only a single box (which
can be set to any of box[0] to [3]), but it seems a regression to prevent
correct configuring of audio on multiple boxes (which has worked fine in the
past) just because of a problem in the Midi part.  The next better step than
the patch on 1.0.16rc1 is to only allow midi config on box[0] with
	 if (box == 0)
in front of
	 snd_ice1712_stdsp24_box_midi(..)

However, things have moved on here, in that I do now have a proposed
alternative.  One step on from the above approach is to call this function
only if
	ICE1712_STDSP24_BOX_MIDI1
is set for that particular box, rather than setting the parameter 'activate'.
This approach does create a complete and effective solution, which I have
tested here, being able (using the boxconfigs) to set channels and Midi In on
any box designated 0-3, and Midi out 1 & 2 are active for all boxes once set
on any.

Soon I will put this together into a patch for review, so that there is at
least something definite to discuss.

And
On Tuesday 29 January 2008 11:25, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Alan Horstmann wrote:
> > Clemens, can you remember anything about this change:
> >
> > 	http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel/rev/a42043505e46
> >
> > -was it someone else's patch or did you work on this?
>
> That change is based on the Windows driver source code (which I no
> longer have) and some guesswork; I never had the hardware.

Thanks Clemens, that is useful to know.

Alan