[alsa-devel] a7839e96 (PNP: increase max resources) breaks my ALSA intel8x0 sound card

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Jan 27 22:50:24 CET 2008

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Avuton Olrich wrote:

> With v2.6.24 my second ALSA sound device stopped working.

Hmm. Why is PnP ACPI called before PCI probing? That seems to be the
problem here - we should *never* have any firmware allocation block known
hardware BARs, they should only be blocking new dynamic allocations.

Hmm. I wonder if the problem is that ACPIPnP marks the regions busy. That
would be wrong. They shouldn't be busy, they should just "exist".

A busy region will stop a "request_region()" (incorrect for this case -
thats' not what the PnP resurce allocation should be all about), but an
*existing* resource will just stop a new resource being dynamically
assigned to that address (not not stop a known resource from using it).

So maybe the ACPIPnP allocation is doen at the right moment, just doing
the wrong thing..

		Linus