[alsa-devel] 1.0.16rc1 release -- error: 'system_utsname' undeclared

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jan 25 14:48:01 CET 2008

At Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:33:06 +1100,
Rick Measham wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>  > That pin config actually looks strange.  It defines 4 "speaker"
>  > outputs.  The autocfg routine in hda-intel driver switches these
>  > speaker outputs to line-outs (just for compatibility issue).  That's
>  > why you don't see any speaker there.
>  >
>  > The patch below is a quick fix to change the jack types for 3
>  > outputs.  Give it a try.
>
> Tried it, speaker-test still gives no sound out the internal speakers
>
> dmesg, however, now shows 1 speaker:
> [ 7023.408000] ALSA /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2859:
>       speaker_outs=1 (0xd/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
>

>  > Now more questions:
>  >
>  > - Does your machine have 3 output jacks in addition to HP?
>
> There's the HP and Mic on the left-hand-side and then on the back is an
> S/PDIF port that has an adapter with a whole pile of inputs and outputs.
> I don't know what they all do, so maybe if I just take a photo, it will
> help: http://rick.measham.id.au/paste/spdif.jpg
>
>  > - What is the content of /proc/asound/card0/codec#* when you load the
>  >   driver with model=auto?  After setting it, reboot so that BIOS
>  >   resets the configuration.
>  >
>  > - Show both codec#* files for model=auto and without model option.
> They appear to be exactly the same ..
>
> # tail -n1 /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
> options snd-hda-intel model=auto

After adding model=auto, then reboot and get a proc file.  The result
you attached is the overridden one.

BTW, please update to the very latest HG version.  I see that you are
still using the older version.  The newer version should have more
detailed proc output.

If I understand correctly, the speaker output on this laptop has never
worked, so far, right?

thanks,