[alsa-devel] Support for Compaq Presario F700 - model 755US - NVidia MCP67 Audio - Codec Conexant 5051

Philippe Paravicini philippe at paravicini.com
Mon Jan 21 22:42:42 CET 2008

Good news ! I installed the patch at:

> http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-hg-20080120.patch

and was able to get the jack to mute the speakers. I also tested w/ skype and
the mic appears to work properly. I understand from the email from the
linuxant people that there may still be a couple of issues with the driver,
but from my perspective it solved my short-term problem (jack not muting the
speakers).  I also see that the alsa-mixer and kmixer have more settings.

Thank you very much for your help,
let me know if I can help you test the patch further.

Open Source rocks !

Philippe Paravicini

For the sake of posterity, I describe below the steps that I took to install
the patched driver.

The patch above, as stated in the email forwarded by the linuxant folks is
relative to the current source in the mercurial source repository as of
around 2008-11-20.  It will not work against the current 1.0.15 source
distribution, or prior sources.

Hence, one needs to download the source from the source repository.

I followed these steps:

1. 'apt-get install mercurial'  (for debian/ubuntu folks) to install the
mercurial source repository client

2. download the 'alsa-driver' and 'alsa-kernel' sources as indicated at:

	http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/SourceCodeRepository

 I installed these in /usr/src/alsa

3. download the patch:

	http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-hg-20080120.patch

4. patch the alsa-kernel/pci/hda folder:

	cp alsa-hg-20080120.pach alsa-kernel/pci/hda
	cd alsa-kernel/pci/hda
	patch -i alsa-hg-20080120.patch    (should run w/o errors)

5. consult the alsa-driver/INSTALL file, section 'Compiling from HG Sources'
6. cd alsa-driver
7. ./hgcompile
8. make install
9. reboot (there is probably a shorter way to reload the driver)

Note that before taking the steps above, I attempted to fix the problem by
installing from source the  latest 1.0.15 version of the alsa-driver,
alsa-libs and alsa-utils projects, as described in:

  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

Hence, I do not know whether the patched drive above will work when used with
versions 1.0.14 and prior of the alsa-libs and alsa-utils projects.