[alsa-devel] Problems with ALC882

Christophe Osuna christophe.osuna at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 18:11:05 CET 2008

2008/1/18, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de>:
> At Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:50:38 +0100,
> Christophe Osuna wrote:
> >
> > 2008/1/18, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de>:
> > > Looks like your board disables the third ADC.  The driver probes it
> > > and the codec returns it's no audio-input widget.  Check codec#* proc
> > > output.
> > >

> > I have copied the contents of /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 at the end of
> > this message. Notice that there are three nodes (0x07, 0x08 and 0x09)
> > which claim to support PCM input.
>
> Ah, then it's in patch_realtek.c where alc880_pcm_analog_capture
> claims substreams = 2.  Feel free to fix it.

OK.

That's not the kind of things I want to try on a Friday before leaving
work, so I will try that next week and report results here.

> > The same nodes I mentionned above (0x07, 0x08 and 0x09 in
> > /proc/asound/card0/codec#2) show no support for 8 kHz sample rate.
> > This is confirmed by the failing calls to
> > snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate().
>
> Then actually the codec doesn't support 8kHz.  Or, at least, the
> hardware vendor doesn't want it to work on 8kHz by any reason.
>
> Of course, you can try to override in the driver, but it's definitely
> at your own risk...

I think it is worth trying (same patch_realtek.c file, isn't it?). In
the worst case we will use a software resampler (8 kHz <-> 48 kHz
shouldn't be too difficult), but I would prefer leaving that to the
codec.