[alsa-devel] Splitting up the HDA-INTEL modules

Andrew Paprocki andrew at ishiboo.com
Tue Jan 15 21:06:45 CET 2008

I am for this idea as well. The whole idea of the hard-coded 'model'
definitions is kind of counter-intuitive considering the chipsets
allow for dynamic reconfiguration. The kernel driver right now is
lacking support to really take advantage of this flexibility.

If this was done, the burden for adding new models could then be
shared among non-kernel developers because most people should be
capable of playing around with a configuration file/tool until a
working configuration is found and then sharing their results. When
this requires modifying the driver code, it unfortunately makes all
the work for adding new models fall on kernel developers who might be
busy with other things.

Also, it should allow for reconfiguration of the ports without
re-inserting the kernel module. This would help out in configurations
where dynamic modules are not used and a reboot would otherwise be
needed.

Could this all be done through a /proc interface? For example, a
/proc/asound/hda directory which contained files representing the
different connections in the chipset?

Thanks,
-Andrew