[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] Intel HDMI Audio Output

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jan 14 11:57:04 CET 2008

At Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:55:34 -0500,
Lee Revell wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2008 5:46 AM, Paul McEnery <pmcenery at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Following an email to the manufacturers European support representatives, I
> > was asked to try the following custom version of ALSA:
> >

> > http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3
> >

> > I am working on building and trying these drivers, but have a couple of
> > questions in the meantime:
> >
> > 1. Does anyone know what the status of HDMI audio support is (in particular
> > Intel)?
> >
> > 2. Any idea why Realtek are maintaining their own version of drivers? Is
> > this a legal/licensing issue?
>
> Jaroslav and Takashi-san,
>
> Any idea why Realtek is still maintaining their forked ALSA?  I
> thought you guys raised the issue with them a while back and they
> agreed to submit their changes through the standard process.

It's their playground, so it's fine that they keep their own version.
Maybe for the version that is still experimental, or just to ease
their business.  Neither legal nor license issues at all.

I must emphasize that Realtek is indeed helpful for supporting their
hardwares on ALSA and have submitted patches regularly to sync with
the upstream.