[alsa-devel] Hotplug plugin

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Sun Jan 13 00:57:49 CET 2008

On Tue, 01.01.08 19:26, Erik Slagter (erik at slagter.name) wrote:

> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0 format=s16 rate=44100
> -> channels=2 sink_name=alc883 channel_map=left,right
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1 format=s16 rate=44100
> -> channels=2 sink_name=jvc channel_map=left,right
> load-module module-combine sink_name=all master=alc883 slaves=jvc
> -> adjust_time=10 resample_method=src-sinc-best-quality
>
> ***
>
> -> is line continuation
>
> These combinations all yield the same result: at startup I have an "all"
> sink that combines both devices, and does that pretty well, I must say.
> But as soon as the USB device is removed, it is removed from the
> combined "all" sink. Then when the USB device is reinserted, it gets
> detected (module-hal-detect) or not (module-detect, static config).
> Using module-hal-detect the reinserted just sits there, it isn't added
> to the combined sink. Using the other methods, it's not even detected
> that the USB device is back...

Hmm, if that doesn't work with module-hal-detect, then please provide
me with a full output of pulseaudio -vv when this happens. However,
the ALSA ML is probably not the right place to discuss this. Please
post this in the PA ML.

> The only solution I can think of, is a udev script that casts some magic
> spells towards pulse when the USB device is inserted or removed... But
> then I could skip pulse altogether, because mpd has an option to
> activate and deactivate selected outputs at runtime, as well.

No. If module-hal-detect finds the device, but module-combine doesn't
then this is some real problem we need to debug.

Lennart