[alsa-devel] -mm: pnp-do-not-stop-start-devices-in-suspend-resume-path.patch breaks resuming isapnp cards

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Sat Jan 12 21:08:01 CET 2008

Hi Andrew.

pnp-do-not-stop-start-devices-in-suspend-resume-path.patch in current -mm
breaks resuming isapnp cards from hibernation. They need the pnp_start_dev
to enable the device again after hibernation.

They don't really need the pnp_stop_dev() which the above mentioned patch
also removes but with the pnp_start_dev() restored it seems pnp_stop_dev()
should also stay. Bjorn Helgaas should decide  -- currently the patch as you
have it breaks drivers though. Could you drop it?

Then, if so and after you do that, could you apply the attached? That's also
needed to resume (ALSA) ISA-PnP cards from hibernation due to the
RES_DO_NOT_CHANGE test triggering for ALSA drivers and the pnp_start_dev()
still not happening. More in the changelog...

On 12-01-08 20:08, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Saturday, 12 of January 2008, Rene Herman wrote:

>> It seems all PnP drivers would need to stick a pnp_start_dev in their resume
>> method
>
> Yes.
>
>> then which means it really belongs in core.
>
> Yes, if practical.
>
>> One important point where PnP and PCI differ is that PnP allows to change the
>> resources on a protocol level and I don't see how it could ever not be
>> necessary to restore the state a user may have set if power has been
>> removed. Hibernate is just that, isn't it?
>
> Basically, yes, it is.

Rene.