[alsa-devel] PNP_DRIVER_RES_DISABLE breaks swsusp at least with snd_cs4236

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Sat Jan 12 18:00:22 CET 2008

On 12-01-08 16:21, Pierre Ossman wrote:

> Ah, sorry. It was a different thread. Look for a mail with the subject
> "PNP: do not stop/start devices in suspend/resume path" in the LKML och
> linux-pm archives.

Right, and I see that the removal of start/stop is already in -mm. That's
not going to work. Something (such as removing power) disabled Ondrej's
CS4236 and the pnp_start_dev() is needed to re-enable it upon resume.

>> But we certainly need the pnp_start_dev() in the current flow of
>> things. It not being called is the problem this fixes...
>
> I think the previous suggestion was that the drivers should call this,
> not the core, so that it behaved more like other parts of the kernel
> (e.g. PCI).

It seems all PnP drivers would need to stick a pnp_start_dev in their resume
method then which means it really belongs in core. One important point where
PnP and PCI differ is that PnP allows to change the resources on a protocol
level and I don't see how it could ever not be necessary to restore the
state a user may have set if power has been removed. Hibernate is just that,
isn't it?

Rene.