[alsa-devel] Hello and providing ALSA support to sdl

M-.-n nostromo at arkaos.net
Mon Jan 7 15:38:55 CET 2008

Hi there,

My name is Marc and I'm writing a tracker software originally geared
towards gameconsole (first GP32 but now GP2X, PC, Mac) and since I got
this lovely eee, I'm planning on porting it to debian-derived platforms.
Actually it works already but the SDL version I have uses oss and it
seems to hickup sometimes although the cpu power consumption seems fine.

Other programs (vlc/audacity) seems no to reflect this problem so I
guess it's due to the fact they use ALSA while the SDL I got doesn't.

When configuring SDL, it seems not to include ALSA (by not finding
alsa/soundlib.h) and I'd like to add it but I'm a little confused on the
step to follow. ALSA seems to be installed but I guess I miss the
includes and compiling libs. Does it mean I need to configure/compile
alsa-lib ? Do I risk corrupting my system if the installed libraries are
not compatible ?

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm only a beginner in terms of developping
audio apps under linux.

Regards,
Marc.