[alsa-devel] [PlanetCCRMA] drop outs with FC8 and latest CCRMA kernel

John Dey jsdey at optonline.net
Fri Jan 4 18:58:07 CET 2008

Hector,

I have read your response and can only comment that I have been a user
of CCRMA's version of Fedora for some time.  I am not responding to
place my recommendation for that distribution over Ubuntu since I only
tried Ubuntu early on when it was not stable.  I would like to offer my
observation on what I have felt for a long time regarding to multimedia
(sound) on linux.

What has made linux OS so successful is that it has a legion of
volunteers willing to contribute to the cause of advancing the state of
the OS for free but even more importantly, in my opinion, is the fact
that Linus Torvalds has been the leader to keep those volunteers
motivated while controlling/coordinating the development of the OS.  He
and others (what were very productive volunteers) have even figured
ways to make a living at what they have done so well for free.  I am
unaware of any such  individual (or organization) functioning similarly
for multimedia-sound).  My reason for choosing CCRMA and staying with
it is because Fernando Lopez-Lezcano has been available, almost at
moments notice, to answer and solve most of problems that I have
encountered. (I don't know how he has the patients and stamina to do
what he does.)  I do get frustrated that I can not get my ATI graphics
card to work and have to settle for a less then optimal driver for
video but my major concern recently, and maybe I am wrong, is the state
of soundcard drivers available for linux (particularly notebooks).  I
have had good luck with desktops and m-audio soundcards but with
notebooks I don't have any comfort that there are cards that fully
work.  (This comment maybe too harsh.)  Without reliable soundcard
drivers, I worry that the whole elegant alsa sound system and sound
applications my never achieve their full potential and may just wither
and die.

I have heard some of the arguments that vendors have been
non-cooperative.  I do believe that there should be ways to structure
an approach that would give the linux/sound community leverage over the
vendor in order to get their cooperation, e.g. a non-profit
organization with support from colleges and university music
departments.  I would like to hear if I am all wet.  However, before we
get too far into the new year, I had to get these thoughts off my
chest.  Happy New Year? And thanks to all who contribute.

John Dey