[alsa-devel] can not access the alsa driver

Adrian McMenamin lkmladrian at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 15:47:59 CET 2008

On 05/01/2008, Ning Zhang <ning.zhang06 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I wrote an alsa device driver for my arm_based platform. Then I cross
> compiled the alsa-lib-1.0.15, and build an application (static) with the
> lib.
> I build the driver in the kernel, so after the kernel booted, I can get
> these information:

I am having much the same problem!

You can test that the driver works by loading the oss emulation eg
(one your module is loaded)

modprobe snd-pcm-oss
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

You should then get continuous white noise.

I'd be very interested in the answer to your other questions though -
this aspect of writing and installing a driver doesn't appear to be
(well) documented anywhere.