[alsa-devel] about PCM devices

Deephay tudoxxx at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 08:08:11 CET 2008

Greetings all,

  I am very new to ALSA developing, some times I found my program get
a "snd_pcm_open with device 'default': Device or resource busy" error
if some other applications was using ALSA at the mean time (for
example virtualbox), but totem player can co-exist with the ALSA-using
application very well, what is the reason?

I tried play a wav file when there is another ALSA-using application
such as totem :

  aplay -D default test.wav

everything went fine, but with "-D hw:0,0", "-D plughw:0,0", the
device will be busy, with "-D hw:0,1" or "-D plughw:0,1", the device
won't be busy but you can hear nothing, the documentation explains:
"The default device is equal to plug plugin with hw plugin as slave.",
so why "-D plughw:0,0" won't work? Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Deephay