[alsa-devel] snd-hda-intel AD1981 - Sound volume low level

Robert Gonciarz ruppertus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 20:50:00 CET 2008

Hi, I just want to ask you if you have heard about the problem with low
sound volume level even though you set the alsamixer on the (almost)
maximum volume level. The sound card: snd-hda-intel / AD1981 / ICH7 )

It's a big problem for me especially when I watch a movie with
ac3 (DVD quality) decoded sound. The volume level is extrimly low in
such situation (I mean the level you hear the sound). I have to connect
my loudspeakers to a ampilifier and set it in very high level.

I don't have such problem when I work with Windows XP. They are loud enough.

That's alsa-info.sh result: http://pastebin.ca/908831

It is said that there are some preferences in the totem package (hidden
in alsamixer) that can fix it and make alsa to remember higher sound level.

I've noticed that problem with all kernels I tested (I've checked about
15-20 kernels from that range 2.6.13.x - 2.6.24.x) (I usually
use vanillia kernel (from www.kernel.org) /with build alsa/). But I've
tested the newest alsa-drivers: 1.0.16 with 2.6.24.2 kernel also and the
result was the same.

Could you chack that problem, please?

Robert