[alsa-devel] Cirrus Logic CS42L52 Low power codec

Ben Dooks ben-alsa at fluff.org
Mon Feb 18 18:35:09 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:34:33AM -0600, Brian Austin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 08:45:49AM -0600, Brian Austin wrote:
> > I was under the impression that the ASoc v1 ties the codec to a specific
> > machine, and that v2 eliminates that need.  Is that a correct
> > assumption?
>
> No, codec drivers shouldn't be tied to a specific platform in either
> version - the main new feature in v2 from the point of view of codec
> support is that it allows a machine to have more than one codec at once,
> but that's not a change that affects the codec driver.
>
> Since the codecs are not tied to the machine, the user must then add to the Kconfig of the
> ARCH to select which codec they want to use?
>
> Using s3c2410_defconfig will only let you select the devices that are added in the Kconfig for the s3c24xx.

Yes, whilst the codecs are not locked to the machine, they do require
the machine<>codec bindings to be present, otherwise there is no setup
information about how the codec is connected, clock sources for the
codec and what devices are connected to the codec. Supplying that all
via the commandline would have an mass of extra complexity to the system.

--
Ben

Q:      What's a light-year?
A:      One-third less calories than a regular year.