[alsa-devel] unable to get alsa configured on Acer Aspire 1640Z

Richard Lyons richard at the-place.net
Mon Feb 18 16:22:01 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 09:51:05AM +0800, Jiang zhe wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 01:18 +0800, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope this is the right place to report this.
> >
> > Computer: laptop Acer Aspire 1640Z
> >
> > distro: Debian etch
> > kernel: 2.6.17
[...]
> >     hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC882, trying auto-probe from
> > BIOS...
> >
> > but alsamixer shows:
> >     Card: HDA Intel
> >     Chip: Realtek ALC883
> > at the top.
> >
> > There seems to be uncertainty about which model number, 882 or 883.
>
> Your kernel is 2.6.17. Its alsa driver is too older.
> It didn't provide patch_alc883 for ALC883 codec, but used the
> patch_alc882 for it.  AND there is no "model acer" in it.

I have tried with the latest kernel in debian etch (2.6.18) This gives
same error but with correct model number, ie
   hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC883, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
when trying to load either model=acer or acer-aspire

It looks as though I have to wait to try kernel 2.6.24 as in debian
unstable.  When I have a fast internet connection one day, I shall try
this. It is not practical or affordable to upgrade over GPRS.

Thankyou for the suggestion.

--
richard