[alsa-devel] a7839e96 (PNP: increase max resources) breaks my ALSA intel8x0 sound card

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Feb 15 00:14:45 CET 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> It should insert the resource to the root resource (or a bridge resource),
> or not at all. If somebody else has already inserted a real device
> resource, we already know about it, and the PnP information is going to be
> just making things worse.

Hmm. The approach I'd take is to always insert the thing into the root
resource. If we do want to let PnP insert it into some lower-level bus,
we'd need to have some way to distinguish "bus" from "device", and we
don't.

So right now, how about just making PnP/ACPI just use

	root = (flags & IORESOURCE_MEM) ? iomem_resource : ioport_resource;
	request_resource(root, newresource);

which is what we do for the e820 map and the other special resources we
know about (ie the magic resources we make up ourselves like video ram and
our standard PCI/ISA resource lists like the <0x100 DMA/PIC/FPU IO ports
etc)

		Linus