[alsa-devel] Digital-Out (Toslink) on HDA-Intal (AD1986A)?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Feb 12 12:06:01 CET 2008

At Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:22:19 +0100,
Martin Egge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, 8. Februar 2008 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > At Thu, 7 Feb 2008 23:04:00 +0100,
> > Martin Egge wrote:

> > > You are right. Choosing plug:spdif plays the sound cia the SDIF-Out. Of
> > > course this does not play the sound via the internal speakers when no
> > > SPDIF is connected.
> > >
> > > But I'd prefer the old behavior from 1.0.15 where the default device was
> > > playing sound via SPDIF when connected and via internal speakers when
> > > SDIF is not connected.
> >
> > Try the patch below.  This adds the mixer switch "Analog To SPDIF".
> > If this is on, the supported format is more limited so that the
> > default PCM can route to SPDIF.  If this switch is off, dmix will
> > choose 32bit automatically.
>
> The patch works perfectly for me. I like this new switch. Perhaps you should
> rename it to "Analog to IEC958 Output". I've seen this name on some other
> cards with ALSA.

This name is a bit difficult to define.  Usually "Analog To IEC958
Output" is the mixer switch for the loopback from the analog inputs
like mic-in or line-in.  In your case, it's a switch that allows the
signal duplication to SPDIF for the default PCM output.  So actually
my naming is also pretty confusing.

How about "IEC958 Default PCM Playback Switch"?  Then it's a bit
clearer.  On the mixer, it apperas in the playback view as "IEC958
Default PCM".  If you turn it on, SPDIF plays with the default PCM.