[alsa-devel] Digital-Out (Toslink) on HDA-Intal (AD1986A)?

Thu Feb 7 23:04:00 CET 2008

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2008 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> Hi, sorry for the late reply.

No problem.

> At the next time, please add my address to Cc so that I don't miss
> your post...

I'll try to keep this in mind.

> At Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:02:51 +0100,
> Martin Egge wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 29. Januar 2008 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > > Could you try HG bisect?  It'd be greatly helpful.
> >
> > I've tried HG bisect this evening. It took me some time to discover that
> > the problem is not within alsa-driver or alsa-kernel but within alsa-lib.
> > This is the result of HG bisect:
> >
> > The first bad revision is:
> > changeset:   2397:d1e9a2f92e7b
> > user:        tiwai
> > date:        Fri Jan 18 13:42:51 2008 +0100
> > summary:     dmix - Enable auto format detection as default
>
> Thanks for checkign this.  Now the thing gets a bit clearer.
> The problem is explained like this: via "default" PCM, 32bit format is
> chosen now because the analog audio-out widget supports.  But the
> SPDIF out widget doesn't support that format.  Thus it's not played
> properly.

Oh I see, but why has this behavior changed since 1.0.15?

> If my guess is correct, you can propbably get SPDIF output via "spdif"
> output.  What happens with the below?
>
> 	% aplay -Dplug:spdif foo.wav

You are right. Choosing plug:spdif plays the sound cia the SDIF-Out. Of course
this does not play the sound via the internal speakers when no SPDIF is
connected.

But I'd prefer the old behavior from 1.0.15 where the default device was
playing sound via SPDIF when connected and via internal speakers when SDIF is
not connected.

Regards,
Martin