[alsa-devel] HG vs GIT

Tobin Davis tdavis at dsl-only.net
Thu Feb 7 15:49:19 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 14:48 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:41:57 -0800 (PST),
> Trent Piepho wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > At Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:10:27 -0800 (PST),
> > >
> > > Hm, what's the problem to pull alsa.git tree to your own working tree?
> >
> > How do I test the driver if it's compiled with the kernel in the alsa.git
> > tree?  I want to compile the driver against the kernel I'm running now.
>
> Well, I don't get your point.  "git-pull alsa.git" onto your current
> kernel tree and make.  Then you have the latest ALSA drivers for your
> current system...
>
> Of course, a subset tree like the current alsa-kernel would be much
> more handy.  That's why I suggest to create the subset tree
> automatically from the linux kernel tree.

I do.  I for one am using a canned distro (Mandriva 2008).  I don't mess
with the kernel tree at all.  I just build and test alsa by combining
the alsa-driver and alsa-kernel HG trees (same thing the daily snapshot
does).

The advantage of this is I can test this snapshot on multiple
distributions without having to try to find a kernel git tree for each
distro (some barely give you the kernel headers package to build on).

For the work I do, having multiple kernel trees to test on would be
difficult.

Tobin Davis

Darling: the popular form of address used in speaking to a member of the
opposite sex whose name you cannot at the moment remember.
		-- Oliver Herford