[alsa-devel] HG vs GIT

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Feb 7 14:48:43 CET 2008

At Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:41:57 -0800 (PST),
Trent Piepho wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:10:27 -0800 (PST),
> > > It would also be a huge PITA for developers who work on multiple
> > > sub-systems.  If I want to make a patch for an alsa driver, I have to
> > > reboot into an alsa kernel?  I try to go a few months between rebooting.
> >
> > Hm, what's the problem to pull alsa.git tree to your own working tree?
>
> How do I test the driver if it's compiled with the kernel in the alsa.git
> tree?  I want to compile the driver against the kernel I'm running now.

Well, I don't get your point.  "git-pull alsa.git" onto your current
kernel tree and make.  Then you have the latest ALSA drivers for your
current system...

Of course, a subset tree like the current alsa-kernel would be much
more handy.  That's why I suggest to create the subset tree
automatically from the linux kernel tree.