[alsa-devel] HG vs GIT

Andrew Paprocki andrew at ishiboo.com
Thu Feb 7 12:45:10 CET 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 6:27 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> BTW, one big annoying thing is that developers have no complete kernel
> tree to access, and thus the patches that touch outside the ALSA
> subdirectory cannot be merged easily.  People often send patches
> fixing together with OSS, etc, and I had to skip them.  So, frankly,
> I'd love to have an access to the whole kernel tree.  But, OTOH, this
> would make harder for other naive guys to give it a try because they
> need to download the big linux kernel tree git.

I was just wondering about this the other day.. I don't think using
kernel git trees would put anyone off. Anyone working on a sound card
driver would most likely already be familiar with using git w/ the
upstream kernel anyway.

My own personal alsa use is in kernels with no loadable module
support, so I can't use the standalone package to build modules
anyway. I need the code integrated into the tree and I just do it by
hand right now.

I've tinkered with libata (git) as well as alsa, and I think having it
in git makes it a bit easier when dealing with upstream updates and
merging.

-Andrew