[alsa-devel] [REPOST] opti93x: conversion to use cs4231 library

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Thu Feb 7 00:58:35 CET 2008

On 30-01-08 01:43, Rene Herman wrote:

> 931 and 933 work and 930 (a non-PnP chip) is being a royal pain in the
> ass again. With the new code, I haven't yet been able to get it to work
> -- no IRQ is firing. However, I also experienced this _once_ with the
> old driver so I'm not sure what's going on. When I now try to reproduce
> with the old one, I can't. Maybe a timing difference.
>
> Will need further testing -- I have no time in the next few days.

Hate it but will need to confirm that this is definitely a regression. OPTi
82C930A does not work with the cs4231-lib using driver, does work with the
current driver. It loads, but gets no interrupts.

However, relevant -- "does work with the old driver" is conditional on one
accepting a definition of "does work" which includes "does not produce any
sound". OPTi 930 is a Non-PnP chip, and it seems it might need the same kind
of internal switching that the Non-PnP sound galaxies need before the output
circuitry is actually connected to the WSS part and not the SB part.

Given that for most people sound cards have producing sound as one of their
more important characteristics it not in fact doing such no doubt means that
this chip isn't used at _all_ by anyone. I have one, but I can't say I've
ever found another one either. Could've sworn I tested it before and got it
to work but not able to say with certainty either.

Massimo, do you remember if the driver was ever tested on a 930?

In any case, it works on 931 and 933, not 930. 931/3 are the chips actually
used. No opinion on just integrating this anyway. Debugging 930 is going to
require some work and time.

Rene.