[alsa-devel] HG branches

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Feb 5 16:02:19 CET 2008

Hi,

how about creating branches for HG trees for some stable trees?  This
will make the maintenance much easier.

What I have in my mind are branches for:

- Kernel stable tree (2.6.xx.y)
- Kernel head tree for push
- ALSA stable releases

We'd need to define a naming rule if we have branches.  So far, v*.*.*
tag is used for ALSA versions, and it can be used for the branch, too.
But having the same name between the tag and the branch may be
confusing.  We can name the branch as "v1.0.16.x" or "v1.0.16-branch",
for example.

Also, for the kernel version to track, we'd need a different prefix,
too, such as "kernel-2.6.25".

The workflow with branches is pretty simple.

	% hg branch
	default
	% hg up -rv1.0.16
	% hg branch v1.0.16-branch
	% some patch work
	% hg commit
	% hg branches
	v1.0.16-branch	5828:71ddf13b7a2e
	default		5829:950e43bff743

The resultant multiple heads can be pushed via "push -f".