[alsa-devel] em8300 and ALSA problems

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Feb 4 16:52:21 CET 2008

At Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:46:44 +0100,
Jan Willies wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:32:29 +0100,
> > Jan Willies wrote:
> >> [root at server ~]# alsaplayer --verbose -o alsa -d hw:1,0 Strong.mp3
> >> AlsaPlayer 0.99.80
> >> (C) 1999-2004 Andy Lo A Foe <andy at alsaplayer.org> and others.
> >> Output plugin: ALSA output v1.9.0beta12
> >> error on set_format SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16
> >> Unavailable hw params:
> >> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> >> FORMAT:  S16_BE
> >
> > The device is supposed to be big-endian only.  Try plughw:1,0
> > instead to convert endianness.
>
> Yes, that seems to work! Only for analog output though. When I try with digital I get the same error again.
>
> [jan at server ~]$ cat /proc/asound/devices
>   0: [ 0]   : control
>   1:        : sequencer
>  16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
>  24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
>  25: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
>  32: [ 1]   : control
>  33:        : timer
>  48: [ 1- 0]: digital audio playback
>  49: [ 1- 1]: digital audio playback
>
> [root at server ~]# alsaplayer --verbose -o alsa -d plughw:1,1 Strong.mp3
> AlsaPlayer 0.99.80
> (C) 1999-2004 Andy Lo A Foe <andy at alsaplayer.org> and others.
> Output plugin: ALSA output v1.9.0beta12
> error on set_format SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16
> Unavailable hw params:
> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  IEC958_SUBFRAME_BE
> [...]

The plug plugin doesn't handle the automatic conversion of
IEC958-subframe formats.  You'll likely need to create a PCM
configuration to use iec958 plugin properly (better as a card-specific
config stored in /usr/share/alsa/cards).  Some config files there
already use iec958 plugin, such as ATIIXP-SPDMA.conf.