[alsa-devel] ASoC: hook for codec control updates and clock controls

Jarkko Nikula jhnikula at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 10:49:46 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Daniel Mack <daniel at caiaq.org> wrote:

> Sorry for not being precise enough here. In our case, the codec is slave
> and all clocks are provided by the I2S master, which is a PXA processor.
>
> The idea is to provide a way for codecs to signal the need for the
> master clock (or whatever clock) to be applied externally. And it's
> actually not important what it takes to actually do that - a generic way
> the board support code can use would be good.
>
> Is such an aproach feasible?
>
> My two cents. However, aic3x specific only.

Would it work if there is some set_mclk(int enable) callback in struct
aic3x_setup_data, then codec->write in aic3x_init points to higher level
aic3x_write_xxx which takes care of calling set_mclk(1) when needed and call
aic3x_write? Also delayed set_mclk(0) can be put into aic3x driver.

Machine driver can then decide will it provide the callback.

Jarkko