[alsa-devel] Issue with Alsa and PulseAudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 26 17:21:13 CEST 2008

Hi Ash,

Ash wrote:
> Hello, I have a media application that uses alsa as its sound
> renderer. It has worked on numerous systems without any problems
> until I came across a mandriva distro that bundles with PulseAudio.
> The alsa pulseaudio plugin is installed correctly, however I am
> having weird problems.
>
> When I am setting up my hw params, and I call
> snd_pcm_hw_params_any(), I get an "Operation not permitted" error. I
> am not sure why this is happening, anyone else see this before? I am
> using pulseaudio version 0.9.9 and alsa 1.0.16.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I'm the Mandriva PulseAudio maintainer. Most distros are now shipping PA
by default now so I doubt your problem will be specific to Mandriva :)

However, I'm not expert enough in the ALSA API to know specifically what
snd_pcm_hw_params_any() actually does, but I'd imagine (this is just a
guess) that this is something that is either not implemented in the
IOPLUG system (on which the pulseaudio alsa plugin builds) or something
not implemented in the pulseaudio alsa plugin itself.

Hopefully someone more versed in this can explain the reason why it
fails. :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie