[alsa-devel] OSS emulatior can not create enough device files for me

Taipei Techwell techwell.taipei at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:08:33 CEST 2008

Hi,
I am working on an ALSA audio driver for my device which is very similar to
BT878. It will have at least 8 audio devices in a single card. Now, the
audio driver is working correctly. I can use aplay to play the audio file
which is created by arecord. To identify audio devices, I am using hw:1 ~
hw:8 dvice description for my audio devices, because hw:0 is the sound card.
In order to make the old application work, I know that ALSA emulates all my
devices to have OSS nodes respectively. I guess that It should have /dev/dsp
to /dev/dsp8, and /dev/dsp is for sound card, and /dev/dsp1 to /dev/dsp8 are
for my audio devices. However, I can not find /dev/dsp8 in my system. I
guess ALSA can only emulate 8 audio device totally. That the reason I can
not see the 8th audio device. Am I right? How can I create the /dev/dsp8
manually?
By the way, if someting is wrong above, please correct me. Thank you.