[alsa-devel] The state of Linux audio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Aug 25 10:07:54 CEST 2008

Fred . wrote:
> What is the state of audio in Linux?
> How does it compare against other operating systems?
>
> Is the Linux audio functionality good or bad?
> What could be better?
> What is planned for the future?

Rather open ended questions! Is there a reason why you are asking or
just curious?

It depends what you are looking for really (desktop, pro etc.) but Linux
audio is arguably a bit of a mess with lots of APIs and abstractions
layers/libraries and a lack of a single common, agreed structure.

On the desktop, most distributions and people are pinning their hopes on
PulseAudio.

I'd advise you look at the following presentation:
http://foss.in/2007/register/speakers/talkdetailspub.php?talkid=353

This is by the PulseAudio author Lennart Pottering and has a small
section on the state of linux audio and what PulseAudio is trying to do
to consolidate this work and provide a common platform to move forward
in the desktop space.

HTHs

Col

--