[alsa-devel] ac97_channel_mode_info() needs a "0ch" added.

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Aug 25 08:26:52 CEST 2008

At Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:14:22 -0700,
John L. Utz III wrote:

> When attempting to leverage existing ALSA AC97 infrastructure, i realized
> that the existing infrastructure does not account for the 'prosumer-y'
> concept of repurposing ALL of the jacks as input, including the speaker.

AFAIK, most AC97 chips cannot re-assign the front output as input.
VT1618 seems like a rare one.

> The vt1618 can use any of it's jacks as mic in or line in. if all of them
> are set to be inputs, then ac97_channel_mode_info() needs to return "Och"
> because there would be no output channels.
>
> that would imply that ac97->channel_mode would equal 0, yes?

Hmm... "0ch" is hard to understand what it means.  The mathematical
concept was invented quite ago, but we often don't follow the
ancestor's idea.

Instead of "0ch", I'd use "All Input" or such, which one can
understand better literally.

thanks,