[alsa-devel] PATCH - vt1618 7.1 Audio

John L. Utz III john.utz at dmx.com
Wed Aug 20 22:50:45 CEST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:54:23 -0700, Rene Herman <rene.herman at keyaccess.nl>
wrote:

> On 20-08-08 21:16, John L. Utz III wrote:
>
>> anyway, we can argue about it again after i get a checkpatch
>> compliant patch to submit....
>
> Let's get a headstart...

hokydokysmoky!

> Note that Hungarian is not a private Takashi Iwai or ALSA dislike; it's
> rather specifically against the Linux kernel coding style (although the
> actual CodingStyle document only mentions Hungarian for function names).

'rather specifically' is your interpretation, not a fact.

CodingStyle.C4 just asks that naming be 'Spartan'.

So, to map 'Spartan' to my code:

this is an unsigned short variable that contains a value that will be used
to shift another variable:

    usigned short usShift;

    ucontrol->value.enumerated.item[0] << usShift;

IMHO, this is a legitimate name in the context of CodingStyle.C4

> Most contributors have had to adjust a few local habits and in the end,
> it's generally worth it.

right.

'tis why i didnt submit something with a 2 space indent. :-)

`tis why i left my leading 'p's out of the function argument signatures.

> If all is good and well, open source code is read many more times than
> it's
> written after all and any (significant) style inconsistency costs every
> reader
> just a little mental hickup.

right. but we differ on what is an inconsistency.

> Review resources are one of the more scarcely available ones in this
> development process, so a consistent style definitely pays.
>
> Sure, sure, I also try ty get away with things, but Hungarians hickup
> rather loudly.

I think that folks might be really surprised how helpful hungarian
notation can be.

But this is a team effort and i am not gonna get all mulish about it
because it's a very silly thing to be mulish about.

If Takashi tells me that he rejects the next version of the patch solely
due to the naming of my variables then i will change them.

But if he isnt going to reject it on that basis then they will stay the
way they are.

It is open source after all. Somebody could submit a patch to change them
to something they like better.