[alsa-devel] maestro3 & es1988: mic range too low

ikke ikke at iki.fi
Wed Aug 20 12:42:57 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:03:14 +0300,
> ikke wrote:
>>
>> ac97_codec.c:
>> AC97_SINGLE("Mic Capture Switch", AC97_REC_GAIN_MIC, 15, 1, 1),
>> AC97_SINGLE("Mic Capture Volume", AC97_REC_GAIN_MIC, 0, 15, 0)
>>
>> That is 4 bits (15, f), not 5 bits (31, 1f). But if this is really
>> only volume control for mic playback, not capture, then I assume it
>> doesn't matter. Could you please still confirm this?
>
> Hm, I thought Allegro has no mic-capture volume (0x1e) but only the
> standard capture volume (0x1c).  Are you sure that it's 0x1e?

sorry, I was too hasty and got stuck to wrong lines while looking the
code. The original patch was indeed patching the mic volume, not
capture volume above. The original patch:

-AC97_SINGLE("Mic Playback Volume", AC97_MIC, 0, 15, 1),
+AC97_SINGLE("Mic Playback Volume", AC97_MIC, 0, 31, 1),

You are right, it's 1c, like seen from the diffs I sent. Sorry for the
confusion.  Is there anything you would suggest for me  to do anymore,
other than buying better HW and to shut up ;) ? I compiled the kernel
again with snd debug option, and was able to write the regs via
proc...

  -i