[alsa-devel] alsactl init - implementation and more..

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Wed Aug 13 12:59:32 CEST 2008

Hi,

	some developers probably already noted, I commited to alsactl
utility (alsa-utils package) initial implementation of soundcard
initialization stuff aka 'alsactl init'.
	The basic idea was to "reuse" nice udev configuration style and
modify it to ALSA purposes. I hope that I ended up with a syntax which is
easy understandable and configuration can be created with minimal effort.
Please, look to 'man 7 alsactl_init' for more details and to
alsa-utils/alsactl/init directory for example files.
	Note that the runtime evaluation of commands can be modified using
environment variables like udev does. Just try 'alsactl -E CMD=help init'
or 'CMD=help alsactl init'.
	Hardware can be detected using sysfs. For older kernel, I'm
plannig to add some compatibility layer to read at least
ATTR{subsystem_vendor} and ATTR{subsystem_device} information from procfs
(codec files).
	Also, a way to gather working configurations for specific hardware
is required. A nice script alsa-info.sh is already in the alsa-driver
package, so I just created a simple persistent "file" dabatase on
www.alsa-project.org: http://www.alsa-project.org/cardinfo-db/ and
modified alsa-info.sh to use this database for the contents upload by
default. Developers can download whole database in a tar package to
extract necessary information using command line text tools and use this
database also for other purposes (HDA codec graphing and so).

	More ideas, corrections, opinions are welcome.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer