[alsa-devel] WM9712 Not Giving output

Nitin Mahajan nitinm76 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 19:27:24 CEST 2008

HI!

--- On Fri, 1/8/08, Mark Brown <broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:

> From: Mark Brown <broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>
> Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] WM9712 Not Giving output
> To: "Nitin Mahajan" <nitinm76 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: alsa-devel at alsa-project.org, "Manuel" <mano at roarinelk.homelinux.net>
> Date: Friday, 1 August, 2008, 9:32 PM
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 08:31:03AM -0700, Nitin Mahajan
> wrote:
>
> > I am using a WM9712 codec chip with the AC97
> controller on AMD AU1250.
> > Linux kernel version 2.6.24.2.
>
> > On AC97 controller's side, I can see the DMA
> happening on the host
> > processor, interrupts also coming.
>
> This suggests a mixer configuration problem.
>
> > On the mixer front, I did unmute and set the vol to
> max for PCM and
> > Headphone. I did not find any Master control with this
> chip. Isn't
> > there any master control with this chip?
>
> No.

If Master is not there, logically are the enough for playback?

amixer set 'PCM' 255 unmute
amixer set 'Headphone' 255 unmute

> > Can some one please throw more light on the Mixer
> part, specific to
> > this chip.
>
> > What Mixer controls do I need to set with what values
> for playback and
> > capture respectively with this chip?
>
> Check the configuration of the Left HP Mixer and Right HP
> Mixer PCM
> Playback switches.  These should be enabled in order to
> play back via
> the headphone output.

While writing the reply , the hardware is not with me.
But I wil check these tommorow.
> If you still can't get audio output with that please
> send a copy of your
> mixer configuration - run the command
>
> 	alsactl store -f mixer-config
>
> to write a file 'mixer-config' with this
> information in it.  Please
> also check your kernel log from when the driver is loaded
> and when you
> configure the mixer.
>
> There is documentation of the audio paths supported by the
> chip in the
I saw the figure in  the datasheet, its quite explainatory, as to which registers are involved in which path.

> datasheet, available from:
>
> 	http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/WM9712/
>

> and you may find the audio route mappings in the WM9712
> driver useful to
> refer to - the 'audio_map' table in the driver
> which shows how the parts
> of the device are connected.  The format is { destination,
> control,
> source }.
Thanks and regards

-Nitin