[alsa-devel] No sound/mixer with new laptops on board sound - hda_intel ALC883

Kristoffer Janke kj at conceptT.com
Sun Apr 27 03:12:42 CEST 2008

stan schrieb:
> Kristoffer Janke wrote:
>
>> I have alsa-utils installed, but alsamixer does not run, instead it
>> gives this:
>>   ALSA lib simple_none.c:1491:(simple_add1) helem (MIXER,'Headphone
>> Playback Switch',0,2,0) appears twice or more
>>   alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument
>>
>> So i cant modify the volumes...
>>

> Two things.
>
> This looks like a bug in alsa lib.  You can get the latest alsa lib hg
> snapshot at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/, compile it,
> and install it.  The bug might be gone as things move very fast in
> alsa.  If it isn't, it would be good to post this problem on alsa-devel.

With the newest hg alsa-lib it still does not work, same output.
> You can edit /etc/asound.state directly.  This file resides in /etc or
> /etc/alsa/ depending on your distro.  Here is a representative entry
> from mine.
>
>  control.18 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type INTEGER
>                 comment.count 2
>                 comment.range '0 - 127'
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'PCM Playback Volume'
>                 value.0 103
>                 value.1 103
>         }
>
> What you want is to look for the same name (if you are using PCM), and
> then set the value.0 and value.1 to be something greater than 0.  Try
> half at first (of the range) so you won't blow anything out if it is
> very sensitive.  This at least gets you sound, though it isn't as
> convenient as using the mixer.  You will have to be root to edit this
> and if you aren't familiar with unix editors (vim or emacs) you should
> probably use something like pico.  Or Knotes or Text Editor in the gui.

The problem here is, that alsactl cant save the values, too with the
same error than alsamixer:
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #3 (No such
file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #4 (No such
file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #15 (No
such file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #16 (No
such file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #18 (No
such file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #27 (No
such file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #35 (No
such file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #36 (No
such file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #37 (No
such file or directory)
alsactl: set_control:1269: failed to obtain info for control #38 (No
such file or directory)