[alsa-devel] No sound/mixer with new laptops on board sound - hda_intel ALC883

stan ghjeold_i_mwee at cox.net
Sat Apr 26 19:40:53 CEST 2008

Kristoffer Janke wrote:
> Here is a more informative alsa-info.sh output generated with the same
> alsa version but with model=medion (but still no sound):
> http://pastebin.ca/998349

I'm not an expert and don't even have an intel card.  But I notice there
is no output for amixer.  Do you have alsa-utils installed?  And when I
look at the output of alsactl, all of the volumes are 0, muted.  Have
you tried turning up the volumes?  After you install alsa-utils you
should be able to run alsamixer in a console or terminal.  Or even from
a menu.  In Gnome it is Applications->Sound & Video->ALSA mixer.  I'm
sure the equivalent exists in KDE.  Maybe it is there already before
alsa-utils.  Sound is muted on initial startup, so will be silent until
you turn it up.

It looks like your card is being recognized.  Again, in a console
(Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6], Alt-F7 gets you back to X) or terminal type aplay -L
to see if any formats were configured.  Here is what it looks like on my
system:

default:CARD=Revolution51
    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
    Default Audio Device