[alsa-devel] How can you tell if the speaker jack on your sound card has anything plugged into it???

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Fri Apr 25 23:40:26 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:08:49PM +0200, Robert Jarzmik wrote:

> Isn't the event api switch "SW_HEADPHONE_INSERT" standard ?
> I thought it was designed for such use.

Yes.  It'll also need extending to cover things that can detect jack
insertions other than headphones (espcailly usefully for devices that
can identify what is plugged into the jack).

> If I'm not mistaken, the Neo teams handles it that way, as I do for the mio :
>  -> input_report_switch(mioa701_evdev, SW_HEADPHONE_INSERT, val);

Indeed, and hopefully it'll get more widely adopted, at least for
embedded stuff.  Unfortunately adoption is currently rather limited -
the only in-tree users are the Zaurus machines.

I'm currently working on some helpers for ALSA for this.