[alsa-devel] How can you tell if the speaker jack on your sound card has anything plugged into it???

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Fri Apr 25 23:28:40 CEST 2008

On Fri, 25.04.08 23:08, Robert Jarzmik (rjarzmik at free.fr) wrote:

> Mark Brown <broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> writes:
>
> > There's currently no standard way of getting this information from user
> > space even where the hardware provides it.
> Isn't the event api switch "SW_HEADPHONE_INSERT" standard ?
> I thought it was designed for such use.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the Neo teams handles it that way, as I do for the mio :
>  -> input_report_switch(mioa701_evdev, SW_HEADPHONE_INSERT, val);

AFAIK HDA generally supports Jack Sensing. However
it's not wired up properly on all hardware. And there's no driver support
in the Linux HDA driver to generate an input device for jack
sensing.

But I might be mistaken. Takashi and Jaroslav know the current state
of Jack Sensing on Linux much better.

Lennart