[alsa-devel] How can you tell if the speaker jack on your sound card has anything plugged into it???

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Fri Apr 25 22:56:46 CEST 2008

Sean Thayne wrote:
> How would one go about getting this info? I'm trying to create a
> monitoring tool for a specific sound card, so the driver's standardized...

First, the hardware has to detect insertion.  Then, it has to send a
signal to the driver (either via a status register or an interrupt).

Assuming you have all that (I've never seen a sound card that provides
this info), perhaps you can specify the output jack only when something
is plugged in?  That is, you register the output jack when something is
plugged in, and then deregister it when something is removed.