[alsa-devel] [RFC] ucb1400 touchscreen, irq auto probing and ac97 with its private field

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Apr 25 15:01:39 CEST 2008

At Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:49:08 +0200,
Sebastian Siewior wrote:

> >> What I intended in first place is to allocate a private field in the bus
> >> struct so can pass informations to the lower driver.
> >
> >As mentioned in my earlier mail, I'm fine with your first patch.  The
> >problem occurs when we generalize it.
> Generalize? You mean once you need an array of multiple parameters like
> struct ressource where the controler driver and device driver are
> independent and don't know each other?

Right, that's why void pointer was proposed and I'm against.  The
controller driver and the device driver are independent and
implemented so.  If they have the exlusive tight connection, then you
must have no problem.  But, you can bind any device driver to any
controller driver in theory as long as they use the same bus, and
there is no check to prevent it.